Status Update:

Current location: Bochum / Germany

50 countries, 1226 days, trip mileage: 124200 km

29 Nov 2011

Back Home

After nearly 3 1/2 years on the road, I'm finally back home with my parents – something I had been looking forward to for quite some time now.

The last few days in New York were pretty hectic – but also very enjoyable, thanks to my lovely hosts Eusebio & Natalie in New Jersey. Time flew past with New York sightseeing during the day, re-packing & preparing the motorcycle for shipping...

...and very unexpectedly some customs problems for the motorcycle: everytime I entered the US from either Mexico or Canada, customs weren't even remotely interested in the motorcycle & didn't want to give me any import paperwork (I did ask!). But when it came to shipping OUT of the country, of course, the customs department asked for exactly THAT paperwork.

Anyway – I only found out about all this once I was already in Germany. But in the end, my shipping agent in NY managed to work things out, so I don't have to fly back over. (Some "good will" by one of the customs officers, I was told...).
The motorcycle will leave NY by the end of next week. (And I'll update the shipping section here, once I've cleared customs in Europe).

Quick news on the photography side of things: The FlickR photo-blog is still stuck in Canada – but I managed to put a whole new image gallery online: Central & North America Panoramas. Hope you like them.

The photo-blog for Yukon, Alaska and Eastern USA will follow soon.