Status Update:

Current location: Bochum / Germany

50 countries, 1226 days, trip mileage: 124200 km

3 Feb 2008

Motorcycle Maintenance - Part 1

Today was the first out of 5 sessions at Hackney Community College, Motorcycle Maintenance Workshop. I fitted an auxiliary power socket to the bike's dashboard, so I can charge electrical devices in my tankbag whilst riding.

Lunch-break was quite an experience: I've lived in East London for over 3 years now and had never heard about the 'proper East End classic food': Pie and Mash, very tasty! We even witnessed some real life mother (shop owner) and daughter cockney banter - priceless!

After lunch I gave the bike a brief check-over to see what parts need ordering. The to-do list for the next few weeks: back brake disc & pads; progressive fork springs; new endless chain & sprockets (and, whilst the swingarm is taken out anyway: grease the swingarm); loobman chain oiler; new chain guard; change coolant (better safe than sorry – Iran & Central Asia are going to be at least 40 degrees); check valves.

Guess that'll keep me busy for a few Saturdays...