Status Update:

Current location: Bochum / Germany

50 countries, 1226 days, trip mileage: 124200 km

16 Feb 2008

Bike Prep: Changing Coolant

Today's workshop time was completely taken up by changing the coolant. Usually a 45 minute job, it turned into a bit of a nightmare...

To change the coolant on the F650 Dakar, it would have been enough to just undo the drainage screw near the water pump and then refill the system with new coolant. But the whole get-to-know-your-bike-thing inspired me to undo the other 2 screws near the water pump, so I could get to the water pump & check it out. Problem: one of the screws was rusted in & sheared off.

I could kind of feel the screw was stuck in the thread, but I went for it anyway. Once the screw had sheared off, I cursed myself... but then I thought it's probably a good thing: better now than in the middle of nowhere. (The F650's waterpump is said to be one of the things that can fail during a long trip). So we drilled the screw out & re-threaded it. I was a bit nervous at first, but it seems the seal near the pump is all good and tight.

On the way home I then had the coolant warning light come on once the bike was on temperature – probably and air-blockage in the radiator or near the thermostate. Guess I'll be on the 38 bus to work until I can sort it out next Saturday...